Teaching and Learning
The school operates under the guidelines of the Victorian Curriculum.
At Zeerust PS, Japanese, Library and Art are taught by specialists while all the other subjects are taught by Dr. Farrell, Mrs. Telford and Mrs. Ellis. Dr. Farrell has a masters degree in science and a post-graduate certificate in primary mathematics teaching. He has a keen interest in music education. Mrs. Telford is trained in early years learning and reading recovery. Mrs. Ellis will be delivering our buddy program, specialist PE coaching, oral language, fine motor skills and information technology.
Literacy and numeracy are core areas of learning while all the other subject disciplines, except PE and art, are dealt with as integrated topics.
How kids learn
Here is a document that expains how children learn.
The Six Rs
To address the needs of multi-age classrooms Zeerust has developed an educational pedagogy entitled, the Six Rs. The Six Rs are reading, writing, 'rithmatic, researching, retelling and reasoning. The philosophy has been the subject of an eBook. Here is a link.
Six ways of thinking
Covering the content described by VELS and AusVELS in a small school is both a challenge and an opportunity. We have looked at the entire issue and have reduced it down to six fundementals which we describe as six ways of thinking.
- Thinking mathematically,
- Thinking with language (English, foreign languages and history)
- Thinking aesthetically (the arts, technology and information technology)
- Thinking scientifically (scientific method in biology, chemistry and physics)
- Thinking systematically (civics and citizenship combined with economics, geography or environmental studies)
- Situated Thinking (health and PE, home economics and financial literacy
Our approach to curriculum has been the subject of an eBook. Here is a link.
From 2015 we began to write about our in-house research. This is the link to a paper about teaching cohesive writing.